MIRROR REPLACEMENT - MK1 MX5
My original mirrors were looking unhappy with discoloured lenses and tired looking plastic. I decideed to watch mirrors on other cars as i drove around for a week or two in order to work out what fitted the TVR S best. I decided on mx5 mk1, although Audi TT also looked promising.
The big challenge was removing the ball sockets from the doors. Unlike many others here I found i had no retaining screws but just lots of fibre glass behind the sockets, which refused to budge.
So after much searching for solutions I ended up with the grinder out and chopped the sticky-out sections of the sockets off.
My next issue was finding a way of fixing the mx5 mirrors without removing the door cards .
Yes it can be done!
Familiar with the building trades I recalled a special fixing typically used for hanging heavy stuff onto skinned doors or plasterboard. So off to screwfix and pack was bought;
For each mirror you need only drill two 12mm holes and these fixings push in and crimp up with a special tool. Less than £15 including the tool and loads of spares for hanging shelves!
The final job looks like this
FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS - XR4I RWD
Plans for a front brake rebuild / upgrade are underway. reconditioning of calipers, new discs, pads etc all on order. Garden projects are slightly getting in the way however and the rain is curbing progress and any fun!
Calipers and Carriers sand blasted before stripping hydraulic components
Calipers stripped, cleaned and spray painted.
New Seals, pistons etc to follow in a couple of days once paint has fully hardened. Unfortunately my enthusiasm has meant I have also painted my jeans.......
Having heard from the TVRCC that painted calipers are like nail varnish for cars, I felt I should add a little diamante car equivalence.........TVR Logos in paint to match the carriers.
thought i must just fit the calipers this morning............but no, at the first step i sheared a bolt in the new carrier!
Sheared almost flush with the surface and was coated in locktite...................grrr. Removed quick and then tried the alternative to tap-tap-tap with a punch or easy outs; the weld a washer, then a nut method;
job halted while new bolts sourced.
Front Brake Upgrade Completed, results very good. Brake fluid replaced throughout at the same time.
COOLING SYSTEM REBUILD - April 2012
Last minute prep for Spa Trip completed; new oil and filter, diff oil and gearbox oil.
A slightly (understatement but caught in the garage not on the road, phew) weepy radiator discovered - let the upgrades commence; new alloy performance radiator, stainless coolant pipes, silicone hoses, water pump and thermostat.
If anything - the new system is slightly 'over-cooling' causing a slightly slow warm up, but with sunny days in Europe planned and fast roads & track, this is probably a very good thing!
Dec 12 - Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Its a bit of a PITA but that little 'puffing noise' is getting worse. My a process of elimination, I have deduced it is in fact the rear-most offside exhaust manifold gasket.
After the application of much penetrating oil (everywhere now!) ovet the last 7 evenings, i have today unleashed the spanners, sockets and ring banana shaped ring spanners. Three of six were straightforward, two required removal of the alternator and bracket and the last was a bit scary - it very effectively faked 'i am going to shear off' all the way to coming out some 30 minutes later!
Tonight we have 'it off' and tomorrow we will hopefully put it all back, subject to obtaining some brand new quality bolts which will be covered in excessive quantities of copper grease or similar.
With the aid of special words and bendy spanners, new bolts and gaskets fitted this morning. 9degrees and sunny - shame not to do an extended test run. OK, I did!
As ever there are some things that are just hard to come by and I found the throttle cable to be one of them.
Here are a few pics from my little mod this morning to make this a bit easier.
BOTH ENDS - OLD AND NEW (with temporary cut washer solution and slit-nut)
CUT THE RIGHT SIZE END OFF THE OLD CABLE
DRILL OUT THE OFFCUT AND CUT A THREAD
CUT A SLOT TO PASS OVER CABLE